How Did we Select a Holiday Bungalows in Horton Plains & Why
We planned our Nuwara Eliya trip for four months in advance. Our main focus was, hiking on Horton Plains and find a good Holiday Bungalows in Horton Plains.
So we wanted to find a better place to stay. we were searching for accommodation close to the Horton Plan so that we would be able to visit Horton plains early hours in the morning.
Why Do we need to go Horton Plains in early
Why Do we need to go to Horton Plains in the early hours in the morning?
My friend told me that if you go early, you can watch Sambar Deer and other animals in Horton Plain. so we wanted to find a very closed by Holiday Bungalows in Horton Plains
If you go to Horton Plains, you have to see Sambar Deer otherwise no point in hiking on Horton Plain 🙂
We wanted to find a decent Horton plains accommodation but not luxury type.
If you search on Google, use both Names: Anderson Lodge Horton Plains and Ginihiriya Circuit Bungalow
Some other Bungalows in Horton Plains
Initially, we wanted to book the Forest Department Bungalow at Kande-Ela as one of my friend’s wife works at the Forest Department but we decided to find another place due to the following reasons.
1. We wanted to stay in a private Bangalow rather than Government-owned due to cleanliness reasons. The government’s own holiday bungalows in Horton plains do not maintain properly. This is what I believe But I may be wrong
2. Another reason was, it takes a bit of hassle to book a Government-owned Bungalow. If you need to book the Forest Department Bungalow at Kande-Ela, somebody needs to recommend you and get a letter from them and so on. So we did not want to go through all the hassle.
It is very difficult to find a hotel near Horton plains according to our budgets therefore we contacted our Trip Guru, Vinish Jayawardane. He has traveled every part of the country. We take him every trip that we go to :-).
So we told him that we need a good Holiday Bungalows in Horton Plains
So he recommended us to book Nisansala Guest House. You can call this Nisansala Bangalow too. It is known as “Karunadasa Rest Rooms at Pattipola”. You can click the link and check some reviews of this Guest House.
Why Did We Select this Place?
- They agreed to make our Lunch and Breakfast before 6:00 AM in the morning the day that we go to Horton Plain.
This is great right!!!. Nobody gives your lunch and Breakfast at 6:00 AM if you stay in other places.
- They agreed to give us lunch packs the day that we came back to Colombo.
This is great too, right!!!. We spent a couple of hours to find a decent place to eat lunch the day we came to Nuwara Eliya.
- Cleanliness of the Washroom and bathrooms.
- They have hot water. If want to have a bath or shower every time like me, then you better find a place with Hot water facility.
- A lot of reviewers on the Internet mentioned that they serve tasty food.
- It was within our budgets 🙂
- Less hassle to book the place. We called Karunadasa and deposit Rs 2000/= for his account.
- They agree to give free accommodation for the driver but we had to pay for the food. We were quite happy with the arrangement.
My Personal Experience with Karunadasa Rest Rooms at Pattipola
- The food was excellent. Very tasty and delicious.
- They fulfilled all our prerequisite needs. Giving food the day that we went to Horton plains and etc
- Karunadasa is a very friendly person and a very down earth person. You can negotiate anything with them
- Karunadasa’s wife cooks the food and they place the food on the table. you can eat as much as you want. Our 7 guys ate like nothing.
- When we want, they gave us tea and coffee at any time. of course, you have to pay for these
- They ask what your preference and what type of food we like to eat. please note that it is with the range. I guess, they only serve Chicken but NOT any other meat.
- The place has two toilets with hot water. Be careful. if everybody goes to wash same time one after, hot water may run out.
- The big room is good and 3 people can sleep in the room. That is the best room.
- There is one room with an iron bed, I do not like that but my friends did not mind.
- You can not consume any liquor inside the rooms but our driver had a Bear. I guess, If you want to have a drink at night, this is not a good place to stay. Anyway, ask from the Karunadasa first. I think he will not allow.
More about Karunadasa Rest Rooms at Pattipola
- They did not change the linen of the beds on that 2 nights. We did want to leave the room unattended as we had our laptops etc inside the room. We have no issue on this.
- It is very safe to keep whatever belongings but do not keep your money or any valuable inside the room.
- You can park two vehicles
- They have built another new wing and it has two rooms. I did not check the condition of the rooms. This two-room has a kitchen as well. If you can book the entire section, that would be a great idea.
- The place is cleaner than the Government’s own place.
- No heating faciliteis.
- The floor is cemented and at night it is very cold. You have to wear socks if you want to touch the floor.
- I did not see any tissue roles in the toilet. if you stay there, please take a few toilet roles so that you wipe the commode seat.
- You have to take your towel, soap, toothpaste and etc. They do not provide those
- We took a water bottle for drinking.I am sure, water is clean in this place.
- There is no place to keep your towel or used cloths.I kept these on the bed.
If You are a Foreigner Who Wants to Find a Holiday Bungalows in Horton Plains
- Let’s say, If you are planning to visit Sri Lanka via a Travel agent, I do not think, this is a good place to stay
- If you are a couple who do not expect a lot of luxury, this is a good place a give a try, maybe one night. you can stay the night before you visit Horton plains as it is very close by.
- For a Budget traveler: this is a good place to visit.it is within your budget and can enjoy very good Srilankan food 🙂
- Let’s say, If you are a solo traveler this a good place to stay if you are not expecting 5-star facilities.
- If you are a Lady traveler, this is a safe place to stay at night.
The only problem is the Language. they are not very fluent in English, of course, they understand what you say. If you say,” I need chicken and rice, they will give to you. but If you do not speak English, then this is something that you need to think.
In summary, If you want to Stay in Holiday Bungalows in Horton Plains
- This is not a luxury place but it is a decent place to stay overnight for one who expects a homely, friendly, and cleanliness place to stay. NO fancy Things!!!
- I do not recommend this place if you have kids below 2 years. The facilities are not adequate.
I asked myself, If I travel to Horton Plains with My FAMILY, will I stay in this Place. My answer is NO as I have two kids. they may not like the place
But if I travel to Horton Plains again with MY FRIENDS, yes of course, I will stay a few Nights in this Karunadasa restrooms at Pattipola.
[If you pay an advance before the visit(of course, you have to), make sure you deduct that amount from the final bill. You can see from the bill it has not been deducted. Usually, we are in a hurry to settle and both parties can make a mistake. the best advice is to settle the bills the night before you check out]
The Rooms Charges, One Room per night is Rs 1,500/=. Only Room charges.
You can contact Karunadasa by 077-4907025 /052-4900110
If you call from a different country, then +9477-4907025 & +94-52-4900110
According to my research and experience, it is not very easy to find a good Holiday Bungalows in Horton Plains according to your wish and taste.